The saga continues (TR6 ignition, etc.) teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0U1v4b

Subject: The saga continues (TR6 ignition, etc.) teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0U1v4b21871
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:57:01 -0800
Yeesh.  Well, the car will still start.  Sort of.  Maybe I jumped the
gun (wouldn't be the first time) on reinstalling the Allison
electronic ignition stuff.  I'm glad it doesn't take very long to go
back and forth!

So, as I reported earlier, the TR6 started right away with the new
cap and rotor.  However, I did notice right off the bat that it
didn't run very well.  Had a bad misfire.  I tried blipping the
throttle and the engine responded by rocking violently, but without
accelerating at all.  But I kind of wrote that off, since I hadn't
really fine-tuned the points gap/dwell angle yet.  I had just set the
points gap at .015" and went with it.  At the time, I just wanted to
prove that it would run on the points, but of course I learned that
it wouldn't even run on the points until I changed the cap and rotor.
I expected it to run better on the XR700, which has no points gap to
screw things up.   Anyway, after posting my last message I went back
out and swapped the XR700 system back in and started her up.  It took
just a few cranks before it started, but again it was running pretty
poorly.  It's been sitting for nearly 5 weeks now, so I wanted to let
it get warm before I jumped to any more conclusions.  After a few
minutes I broke out the timing light and adjusted the timing.  Then,
as I was fiddling with the locking bolt on the distributor clamp, the
engine died abruptly.  I scratched my head, finished tightening the
bolt, then turned the key again, and it started right up.  But again,
after not even 1 minute, it died abruptly.  I let it sit for a couple
of minutes, then tried it again.  And again it started up, but in a
very short time it began stammering, then died.

Well, something is still amiss.  And this is just so unusual for this
car
 for all intents and purposes it runs like a top and has run that
way for 13 years.  I fully expected it to start right up and run like
it always has after changing that cap and rotor.  And this other
issue with the short in the purple circuit is the first serious
LUCAS-like electrical trouble I've ever had.  I still haven't even
gotten around to hunting down that short.

I guess I'll need to pull all the plugs and scope them out.  And, I
guess maybe I oughtta try to get it to run WELL on the points and
condenser again before I switch back to the XR700.  Maybe the XR700
unit really HAS gone south, but intermittently?

Once again, I must emphasize that the car was running ABSOLUTELY FINE
on December 30 until it died all at once.  This is the first time
it's run since that day.  And again, at that same time I discovered
some sort of problem with the purple wire circuit, as the fuse was
blown.  I know the purple circuit has no connection to the ignition
circuit, but it's sure weird that it all happened at once!

Anybody have any suggestions?  I can't afford to lose any more hair!

And one more thing
 why does it have to be so COLD out there?!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6