RE: TR3 Generator to Alt converstion question

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Generator to Alt converstion question
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:54:02 -0800
Pat, I believe you are asking for the impossible.  Perhaps someone else will
prove me wrong, but I do not believe there is an alternator that both fits
the existing mounting points, fits the existing pulley, lets the original
fan belt fit, _and_ fits between the engine and the frame.  IMO you're much
better off looking for a smaller diameter pulley.  Herman van den Akker once
told me where he bought one, but of course I've forgotten.  The smaller
pulley turns the alternator faster (which is good, helps charging at idle),
and also allows the alternator to be a larger diameter while still using the
stock belt.  You may have noticed, belts in that width aren't real common

You will also have to make some small modifications to the mounts, most
likely using short lengths of 3/8" water pipe and some flat washers.  Which
is good, because the last step is to be sure the new pulley lies in the same
plane as the crank and water pump pulleys, and the flat washers let you move
the alternator fore and aft a bit.

Randall