Re: TR4 Windscreen Glass

To: geohahn@theriver.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Windscreen Glass
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:43:38 -0800 FILETIME=[3B7BDF50:01C1AA1A]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Geo,

My best advice on this job is don't do it by yourself.
I've done winshields many times and it always helps to have someone else
there. If you can't find anyone from your local club to help just have an
installer do the deed.

That said it is pretty tricky to get that big rubberband around the glass
without having it slip off the other side. I would clean off all the soap
first since it probably isn't helping. Then you can try getting the seal
warm first, maybe hot water will work. Try to orient the seal properly on
the winshield (corners in the right places) then slowly work it into place.
It will help if you have a workbench at a comfortable working height and
have some sort of soft cover over it. Once you have the seal on you should
probably go ahead and install it into the frame. It's easier if it's off the
car. First get some 1/4" nylon rope and wrap it twice around the seal. Offer
the winshield up to the frame and press it into place while pushing the
glass firmly towards the frame. This is where you discover that glass really
does bend. It will all seem pretty impossible, but you wil find that with
some winshield sticks and some Guiness Stout it wil finally fit. It's really
one of those jobs that is hard to describe but fairly easy to do once you
have done it a few times. Experience really is the key here so get someone
who has done it before if you can. If not there is really no shame in
farming this job out to an experienced installer. Try to get someone over 40
who has at least done winshields on VW Bugs before.
Good Luck.

Cheers,

John Matthews
61 Herald