RE: TR3-4 Harmonic Balancer-the Problem Fan

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3-4 Harmonic Balancer-the Problem Fan
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:36:43 -0800 d .us>
Sherman, was this a question, or a reply to Scott ?

I think I did give you the bolt size, and in fact I've run without the fan
and extension (or a dampener of any sort) for a long time with no problems
except the hub tends to work loose on the crank (solved with Loctite).  I've
been told that this will likely break the crank if I run above 5500 rpm for
long, but I haven't, and don't plan to with this fairly stock engine.  But
it will turn 4500 rpm all day long, no problem.

I'm actually contemplating a change to a real dampener (from a 3-main MGB)
and a narrow fan belt for the 'fast road' engine I'm planning to build,
which I do expect to redline at 6000 rpm.  Things are moving pretty slow
though, and lots of projects are higher priority just now (like building a
tranny to get it back on the road), so it may still be a long time ...

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 project HB7826LCV