TR3-4 Harmonic Balancer-the Problem Fan

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3-4 Harmonic Balancer-the Problem Fan
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:22:19 -0500
Scott/ Randall:
 Please recall our list discusssions regarding my problesm with the fan-
that it refuses to 'balance' no matter how I have 'tweeked the blades' or
used the original balance piece - in its proper (factory) location.  My
problem is a vibration which starts @ 3800 RPM and becomes totally
unacceptable at 4500 RPM. I usually shift at 4,000, but there are times on
the interstate when passing one would be better served at closer to 5000
RPM.

My decision was to convert to an electric fan, and I thought it was you
(Randall) who gave me the correct replacement bolt size. Notes at home.

Anyway Scott, I think that it was 'greenman 62' who installed a harmonic
balancer kit, but the general consensus was that for other than race use,
removing the metal fan and extension housing' and replaceing the unit with a
flat washer and bolt to hold the two part pulley in place was not an unusual
conversion.

AS soon as I finish my workshop construction- that's the Triumph project for
late winter.

Sherman Taffel
'65 TR4 CT40054L
TRAC/CTR