Progress, Dr. Oppenheimer?

Subject: Progress, Dr. Oppenheimer?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:40:08 -0800
Hi folks.

I think I finally have the conclusive answer to my ignition problems.
After all that, it turns out that apparently the Allison electronic
ignition module is dead.  Last night I put a new fuel filter in,
before I tried to start it up.  (it had run the night before, but
only for a few minutes, and I had not ran it since because it
wouldn't restart)  After I put the fuel filter in, I tried to start
it up I had no spark.  That was with the Allison ignition system
installed.  Tonight I reinstalled (for the second time now) the
breaker points, and the engine roared to life instantly, and more
importantly, it stayed running for a good 20 minutes.  And it runs
fairly well, too, now that I have the firing order correct!

I still have the short in the purple circuit to search out, and now I
notice that the parking lights only work when the headlights are on.
When the switch is in the 'parking lights only' position there are no
lights at all.  I suspect that is simply a matter of having hooked a
couple of wires up incorrectly, so I don't expect that to be much of
a problem.

Thank you all for your suggestions and input.  Looks like I'm getting
close to having this thing on the road again.

Tomorrow I'll call Crane and insist that they ship me a new ignition
system.  Someone replied (I can't remember who, I can't find the
message now) and indicated to me that Crane would likely NOT honor
Allison's warranty, and indicated that he knew this from personal
experience.  If they don't at the very LEAST give me a healthy
discount on a new module, then I will never again buy any Crane
products.  Crane bought Allison, as I understand it.  To me, that
means they also bought Allison's obligation (under the lifetime
warranty that was offered at the time) to replace this unit if and
when it failed.  I'll let you know what happens.  I'm going to be
very angry if Crane welches on that deal.  Particularly because I
just installed a new Crane XR700 on our Toyota in December.  Could be
I'll end up having to buy a Pertronix system if I can't get
satisfaction from Crane.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6