Re: TR4 White

To: Jim Philpott <ormjim@hotmail.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 White
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 09:18:31 -0500
Jim Philpott wrote:

> I have been away from the list for a while.  My first day back and I see a
> post from Joe about Pearl White for an early TR3A.  I am working on a TR4
> that was white when it left the factory, but was later undercoated and
> painted carmine like my TR6.  I have removed the undercoating from the
> underside of the bonnet and boot and am about to tackle the engine
> compartment.  I want to return the car to white but am unsure of the correct
> color.  The number is CT 25860 LO.  I read that Spa White was only used up
> to 21495, then New White was used till the end of the TRs.  The original
> paint I have exposed does not look as white as the "New White" that I have
> seen. Could the White be something other than New White on this car?  I like
> the Pearl White, would it be a crime to put an incorrect color on this car?
> Does anyone know the paint numbers for Spa White or New White?
> Thanks for any help.
> Jim

Jim,

If the white you've uncovered was sprayed over with undercoat at some time in
the past, it
is most likely NOT the same shade it was originally.  I often find that spray-on
undercoating will permanently stain light colors.

When attempting to refine our color library here we usually get our best look
at original
colors by removing the top dashpad.  The factory usually did a pretty decent
job of
spraying that area and the original pads are only glued at the edges, so you
get a good
expanse in the middle that's been sheltered from the atmosphere virtually since
day one.

If you don't plan on stripping the car down to that level, try removing the
door panels.
While the boys on the 'line' usually didn't wave the gun around there as
carefully as they
did the cowl, you can often find an area or two that'd be good to match off of.
 Since you
already suspect the car was either Spa or New White, one of those areas should
be good
enough to make an accurate determination of what was original to the car.

Good luck!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
1242 East Ridge Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA  19462-2754
610-270-0505
610-270-3059 fax
(new website under construction...finally!
http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars )