Re: Valve Bounce

To: levilevi@attbi.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve Bounce
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 20:22:50 EST
In a message dated 2/2/02 10:38:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
levilevi@attbi.com writes:

<< List,

 How can you tell if you're getting valve bounce at high rpms?  Is there a
 distinctive sound?  Does the engine miss? Acceleration flatten out?  >>

Listen to the intake noise as it will get louder quickly as the intake valves
float allowing exhaust gas to enter the intake system.   My 88 Ford Ranger
2.3 OHC with hydraulic lifters actually runs a bit better when the valves are
just starting to float and the lifters are pumped up.  In my case, the engine
"sees" a bit bigger cam lift and duration.  After the valves are fully
floating the power just levels off. ( time to shift anyway ;+)

If the engine in question is a interference type, the valves can hit the
pistons.  Most but not all timing belt equipped engines are clearance motors
that will allow a valve to remain fully open without contacting the piston at
TDC.  Timing chain engines can go either way and are generally not listed in
any service information.