Re: Hillclimbs

To: <MJSUKEY@cs.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hillclimbs
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:33:03 -0800
Marty,

I never drove in a hillclimb, but when I was in high school back in
Pennsylvania, I did go to a few.  Yes, country road up a "mountain" (now
that I live in the west, I can't really call them mountains).  There were no
cliffs off the side and the edges of the road was lined with hay bales in
the touchy spots, not that that would help much.  They were not without
their perils, however.

For example, one of those touchy spots in one event was a bump in the road
on a slight curve. If you were going fast enough, it would raise the front
at least enough to impair control.  Me an' my buds were drinking a lot of
beer under the direct supervision and assistance of  the Marine Corp (but
that's another story) when this rather good looking chic in a primrose
yellow TR3, which had to be pretty new at the time, came up that hill, took
the bump a little sideways and started flying towards the hay on the right.
Don't what she did or how she did it, but it was the wrong reaction.  She
came down on the left  front and did an end over end roll that almost wiped
put the spectators on the left.  Luckily, she had a roll bar.  It cracked
under the strain but held up enough so that she walked away with a rather
bad scrape on her face and a sad story for Daddy.

I guess the point of the story is - a roll bar would be nice. But
preparation wise, like any racing event, know the course and how to take it.

Bob