RE: TR6 Distributor: Advance Springs

Subject: RE: TR6 Distributor: Advance Springs
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:03:30 -0800
>One direction it should turn fairly easily, for maybe 10-15 degrees.  Then
>when you let go, it should return at least most of the way to the stop under
>it's own spring pressure.  Sounds like your point cam is bound to the dizzy
>shaft.  Disconnect the springs (carefully, don't want to distort or lose
>them), remove the screw under the rotor, and the point cam _should_ just
>lift off of the dizzy shaft.  If it's rusted on, it may take more force <g>

I did remove the springs, and without the springs the shaft will
twist fairly easily.  I will disassemble the point cam from the shaft
just to check that out.  I will also be removing the shaft altogether
from the body in order to inspect the bushings visually.

>The reason is that the advance curve is not a straight line, as you would
>get with two identical springs.  The heavier spring is actually slightly
>loose, so it does not come into play until higher rpm, after the advance
>mechanism has moved some amount under the control of the lighter spring.
>The result is an advance curve that starts out rising rapidly, then rises
>more slowly from roughly mid-curve to maximum.

Gotcha.  Yes, the larger of the two does fit rather loosely.

>The springs and weights shouldn't have anything to do with this, but if the
>point cam were loose on the shaft it could.  Or, perhaps if it were rising
>on the shaft.  Which brings up another possibility, how's the distributor
>end play ?

End float on the dizzy shaft is .012".  Again, while holding the
dizzy upside down and while pushing on the engine-end of the shaft, I
cannot get the rotor to contact the terminals.

I tried to measure the side play using the method you described with
my dial caliper, and had a very difficult time getting any kind of
consistent measurement.  Measurements varied from between 0 and
.004".  In any case, I've all but convinced myself that the bushings
in this distributor are fine.  Unfortunately, that doesn't make
finding the cause of the cracked rotors any easier.  I'd almost
rather have worn bushings and have to buy a rebuilt distributor than
to have the cause remain a mystery!

Thanks!