RE: Crankshaft end float

Subject: RE: Crankshaft end float
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:37:05 -0800
> You only need to grind if the surface is worn. You only need to weld up
> the bad surface. But to be honest, it's probably cheaper to replace the
> crank than it might be to weld the old one up and re-surface it. Normally,
> welding up the crank is limited to cranks that are made from unobtainium.

I would definitely ask around about the price to weld and grind the crank
before buying an unknown used one.  Last time I asked, I was quoted
$20/journal.  Admittedly that was a few years ago, so YMMV.  Of course,
you'll want to get your old crank magnafluxed first, and other journals may
need grinding, but that's likely true of any used crank.

Randall