Re: LBC history

To: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>, " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LBC history
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 02 16:50:49 -0800
>I love the little history tidbits on SOL there TeriAnn, but I have to
>respectfully
>beg to differ on the origins of the term 'LBC'   The first time I ever heard
>'LBC' used to describe Little British Cars was in 1972 from my grandfather.
>It was also the common term used in the late 40's as GI's were bringing
>them home with them after ww II .

Just being a comparitive youngster, I had no idea WWII GIs were calling
Brittish cars LBCs.  THe term was first used on the original British car
list within a month or two if it being started in 1987.  So I do have its
usage pedigree on the Triumph mail list.

>And what ever happened to all the 'automotive lists' that originated
>on BIX (Business Information Exchange- yep an early days.. Xerox extension)
>in the mid/late '80s

I do not have a clue.  However since I was there in the very first weeks
of the British car list and was there when the Triumph list split off
from the British car list, so I do know where the Triumph list and all
the other autoX e-mail lists came from.

The first members of the British car e-mail list were recruited from
USENET's rec.auto postings though.

>My first email address at bix.com dates back to 1979.

Being just a youngster my first e-mail account (twakeman@hplabs), was
activated in either '85 or 86.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937