RE: Steering box removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Steering box removal
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:43:38 -0800
Jean :

I'm honestly not sure I understand your question, but it is possible to
remove the split column box without either removing the front apron, or the
front crossmember, at least on a LHS car.  The trick is to take loose the
two pinch bolts that clamp the steering box itself into the bracket, then
remove the upper clamp that holds the tube, and undo the LH motor mount from
the frame.  Then use a jack or hoist (I used a floor jack) to lift and
rotate the motor to the right, so that there is room to pivot the tube
towards the engine and up between the engine and mounting ears on the frame.
Then finish prying the bracket out from between the frame ears, and lift the
assembly up and back at an angle.

AFAIK, all R&P conversions require welding new mounts to the frame.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV