Brake Lock up

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Brake Lock up
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:29:30 -0500
Jack, years ago (1970) when I crewed on a friends TR 4 racer we changed to a
dual TR6 System for safety reasons. I don't think we used the servo but I
can't remember if we left in place. I doubt it however. On our first outing
at a SCCA National @ Mid-Ohio we had the same problem and had no clue as to
what was going on. We could crack the flare nut at the master cylinder and
release them only to have them lock up again. Raced slowly and didn't use
the brakes, didn't do too well either but we never did anyway so our
expectations weren't too high. I forget what we did for the next race
(Nelson Ledges or Summit Point) but we thought they were fixed. Turns out
they weren't and we had the same problem. We went begging and one of the
Group 44 guys who was only polishing their hardware came over and in short
order showed us the problem. It seems that the push rod for the master
cylinder was not fully releasing and therefore it was not allowing the fluid
to fully return to the master cylinder. Each pump of the brakes put slightly
more fluid into the system until there was enough to cause the fronts to
lock up.
In some way could it be that you are having the same problem? I haven't
looked at a TR 6 system in a while but is there a length adjustment on the
pushrod between the pedal and the booster? And is it somehow adjusted too
long? If it continues try pulling back on the pedal if you can and see if
they release.
Maybe you are driving it like New Blue and putting more brake action into it
than Merry Old England ever anticipated.
JVV