Re: new spit owner

To: "Jon Paschke" <JPASCHKE@bak.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: new spit owner
From: "Brooks Bullock" <airsmyth@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:15:08 -0500
Jon,

    I ran into the same problem last summer in my TR6 fitted with the "J" OD
I had to remove the solenoid and replace the O-rings on the spool valve(not
the External O-rings but the O-rings on the sliding spool valve in the
solenoid). You can differentiate the cause of either a bad 1st/2nd/
inhibiter switch or a stuck solenoid by simply actuating the ignition switch
or using the switch there on the shifter with some finesse and
listen.------If the solenoid is continuosly actuated by power from the
ignition switch,a very distinct click from under the vehicle then that is
indicating a probable stuck 1st/2nd inhibitor switch if it pass's that test
then actuate the switch there on the shifter and listen for a distinct click
from under the vehicle, if it sounds weak or no sound, then I would venture
to say that you have the same problem that I experienced this past
summer-----the solenoid spool valve is deenergized and is almost off but is
still allowing enough oil pressure from the OD to only partially engage the
OD, thereby giving the feel of a slipping clutch------Even though it is a NO
NO to be engaged in 1st, 2nd and REV I have never known of a healthy "J" OD
that functions well in 3rd and 4th to slip in 1st and 2nd except at low
speeds not to say that it has never happened. I have owned my Spit for 22
years and driven it just over 200K miles have had to work on and replace
seems like everything but the OD unit itself, what good a piece of
engineering that OD unit is!!

thats my 2 cents and Enjoy Your new Spit!!

Brooks
76 spit
74 & 76 Six