Re: Engine out, crank and bearing cap damaged

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine out, crank and bearing cap damaged
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:50:16 -0000
Hi Hugh
The ends of the thrust washers rest against the projections on the side of
the bearing cap to stop it spinning. Once the washers fall out the crank can
(and does when the clutch is depressed) float forwards and destroy the cap
face. You are correct that the crank should never make contact with the cap,
but you did say both washers were in the sump didn't you?

Graham.