Re: Hand Cranking your TR

To: "INTERNET:ZinkZ10C@aol.com" <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Hand Cranking your TR
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:38:52 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:ZinkZ10C@aol.com
>Does anyone know the proper way to hold the crank while turning?

Harold,

The problem with hand cranking modern cars is that the timing is set
slightly before top dead center and there is the ever present possibility
that when the combustion starts it can cause the engine to turn backward.
This will turn the crank handle in the reverse direction and if you are
gripping it with the fingers and thumb on opposte sides of the handle it
can break your arm.

I have heard (and perhaps someone can confirm this) that the proper
technique is to cup your hand on one side of the handle so that if it does
backfire it will push out of your hand.  I guess another technique is to
always pull the handle and never push.  Whatever you do do not put yourself
in harm's way if the handle should suddenly turn backward.

If in doubt, push start.

>I don't have a Brit car to hand crank, but do have a 1953 military spec
Onan
>generator with hand crank backup.  The engine is a 56 CID 4 cylinder all
>aluminum flathead made by Continental Engines ( not related to
Ford/Lincoln )

This engine may have a spark retart control that will retard the spark
while cranking.  This makes hand cranking easier and safer by timing the
spark to after top dead center.  Between that and the large inertial
rotating mass you should be able to wind that sucker up to a respectable
speed just by hand cranking.

Take care

Dave