J Type OD

To: "ian.viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Subject: J Type OD
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:54:28 -0400
Cc: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "ian.viles"
>Listers -
Should a J Type overdrive operate in 2nd gear? If not, what causes it to?
<

Ian, it all depends on what switches are present and are they working
right.  Does it also work in first?  if so then I would suspect the
lock-out switch has failed in the closed position and it will also work in
reverse so fix it straight away. If it doesn't work in first then your
gearbox is set up with two lock-out switches (as is mine) and disconnecting
the wires for the 2nd gear lock-out switch will limit operation to 3rd and
4th.

The reason mine has both lock-out switches is that I converted my box from
standard to overdrive and had the cover drilled and tapped for both
switches.

Does it work in second?  Yes it does but it is totally redundant with third
direct (the J-type has a different ratio than does the A-type), the engage
time increases with a reduction in speed and at 20-30 MPH it can take
almost a second which can be a challange, and it costs an extra switch  to
make it work in second so the factory abandoned 2nd overdrive when it
switched to the J-type unit.  I disconnected the 2nd gear switch and I
don't miss it a bit.  But you may grow to like it.

Cheers

Dave