more questions/problems with the spit

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: more questions/problems with the spit
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:18:29 -0500
So the freeze plug dilemma seems to be fixed, but I have found three more
(at least) problems.  I think this car really doesn't want me driving to
Ohio weekend after next.  Time is running short and I'm fresh out of ammo or
I'd shoot her.

problemo uno - very low oil pressure - around 20PSI hot or cold?  Slightly
higher (but not much) when cold.  Me thinks I did something bad when she
overheated the first freeze plug go around.  Compression is still good at
120-125 throughout.  Who knows what I must have done to the lower end.

problem dos - 12 volts at run, 11 volts (max) with headlights, no highbeams
at all now?, and when the turn signals blink, the volt gauge goes back and
forth between 11-7 volts.  Fun, huh?  Bad generator?  Do they "loose" their
polarization?  Should I repolarize first?  Only drive during the daytime?

problem tres - too rich at idle, too lean at 4500-5000.  Richened up - way
to rich at idle, ok at higher RPMS.  Leaned out - good idle mixture (no
fumes) - have to pull out the choke at 4k or so or she misses out.  What's
that about??

Oh and to top it off, the push rod tubes on the fresh head leak oil like a
sieve now - great.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill
'66 Spitfire4 MK2 1147