RE: more questions/problems with the spit

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: more questions/problems with the spit
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:04:34 -0700
Bill, I'm definitely not a Spitfire expert, but here's some comments that
might help :

> problemo uno - very low oil pressure - around 20PSI hot or cold?  Slightly
> higher (but not much) when cold.  Me thinks I did something bad when she
> overheated the first freeze plug go around.  Compression is still good at
> 120-125 throughout.  Who knows what I must have done to the lower end.

Have you tried changing the oil ?  If the pressure relief valve is
accessible, I'd pull it out for a clean and inspect next.

> problem dos - 12 volts at run, 11 volts (max) with headlights, no
> highbeams
> at all now?, and when the turn signals blink, the volt gauge goes back and
> forth between 11-7 volts.  Fun, huh?  Bad generator?  Do they
> "loose" their
> polarization?  Should I repolarize first?  Only drive during the daytime?

First, find and fix the bad connection causing the voltmeter swing.  If you
don't already have one, get a cheap DMM from Harbor Freight.  Then try
repolarizing the generator.  Although it's not likely to help, they do
sometimes 'lose it'.  However, the red light should be on if that's the
problem.
The lack of high beams is yet another problem.

> problem tres - too rich at idle, too lean at 4500-5000.  Richened up - way
> to rich at idle, ok at higher RPMS.  Leaned out - good idle mixture (no
> fumes) - have to pull out the choke at 4k or so or she misses out.  What's
> that about??

Zenith/Strombergs, right ?  Check the diaphragms.

> Oh and to top it off, the push rod tubes on the fresh head leak oil like a
> sieve now - great.

Sorry, I know I've read how to seal them, but durned if I can recall.

Randall