RE: Wire Wheel Adapters

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wire Wheel Adapters
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:53:45 -0700
> I know it looks pretty scary  . . . having those big fat TR lug
> nuts on there
> without any stud sticking out the middle of them . . . but do they really
> engage fewer threads on the stud than do the nuts that hold the splined
> adapters on?

The standard nuts (at least on the earlier TRs, I'm not certain about the
TR6) have a blank area inside the nose with no threads.  So they do actually
have fewer threads in contact.  More importantly, I believe they are softer
steel, which makes them better able to deal with the flexing of the wheel,
but weaker.

> Do these wire wheel nuts have a different taper to them than the
> normal lug
> nuts?

I'm not sure about the seat angle (replacement nuts are on backorder at
TRF), but I think they're different.  Another important consideration is
that the seat area on the nut is smaller (as are the flats).  I've heard
tales of the small nuts pulling right through steel wheels, and cracks in
this area of the wheel are supposedly common on TR6s anyway.

Randall