RE: Wire Wheel Adapters

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: RE: Wire Wheel Adapters
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:53:46 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I like your answer Randall.

I will certainly buy the idea that the big early TR lug nuts are softer metal
and probably have a very large seat area to distribute the load on the wheel
much better too.

I never knew about the no threads inside the nose part of it.
That certainly would make a difference.

I'll fess up . .one of the reasons I asked this was that for a short while, I
had my old mag wheels bolted up to the then non working TR4, which still had
the wire wheel studs on it.  It required an extra spacer washer under the mag
wheel nut shoulder to keep it from bottoming out .. but I checked carefully to
make sure I was getting Decent thread engagement.  It helps that the mag wheel
lug nuts were most certainly threaded all the way to their ends.

Once I got the car running again (thanks to Randall no less)

I drove it around a bit with the mags on the wire wheel studs.

Once I wanted to drive it a bit more, I did finally convert it to longer studs.

-Scott Tilton