Re: Wire Wheel Adaptors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Adaptors
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
Crud . .. sorry about the accidental forwarding of that last message to the
list.  This Stupid Yahoo mail has some dumb default settings for their on
screen buttons.

Anyway . . . what I meant to type was . .that perhaps I should clarify my
original post.

I've gotten a lot of replies explaining that that the studs are shorter and lug
nuts are special for wire wheels for clearance reasons.  (So they don't
interfere with the center hub of the wire wheel)  I understand that well
enough.

What I didn't understand is how these short studs and small lugnuts can be
sufficiently strong enough to hold a wire wheel (and adapter) on the hub and
not be strong enough to hold a regular wheel on the hub.

I think Michael Porter seemed to indicate that the combiation of disc wheel and
the normal lug nuts doesn't allow the nut to be screwed far enough down on the
stud for equivalent thread engagement.

I'll have to check that out.

However, I would like to point out that the stock lug nuts are pretty hefty
little suckers.  I would think that they have a surplus of threads, and that
just because all the threads aren't engaged on them doesn't mean that it is
unsafe.

-back to work for me

Scott Tilton
Ashburn, VA