Re: TR6 overdrive questions

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, bbaker@paramid.com
Subject: Re: TR6 overdrive questions
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:37:36 -0500
Cc: vtr@autox.team.net
Bob -

There are indeed still people who rebuild them (me, for example,
though I'm as slow as molasses and not in it professionally!)  Andy
mentioned Quantum Mechanics, which I've heard good things about -
here are a few more contacts:

Overdrive parts and advice sources:

Brian Schroff at Powerbritish

Charlie Vincent in Jacksonville Fla. 904-757-6300.

John J Black
Waterloo Drivetrain Systems
http://www.waterloo-dtr.com
transman@waterloo-dtr.com

Overdrive Repair Services in England
http://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/main.html

Herman Van Den Akker: 689 Azure Hills Drive, Simi Valler, CA 93065,
805-526-9526.

Also see Nelson Riedel's excellent online guide to overdrive repair
and refurbishing at http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/ (look under
Technical).  (Thanks Nelson!!)

As for your problem with the OD not engaging - check that the oil
level is sufficient.  That's the root of most OD problems.  Also
check to make sure your solenoid adjustment is correct - perhaps it
is only opening the operating valve a tiny bit?  Does it take a long
time (more than three or four seconds on the highway) to engage?  If
so, this last thing may be the problem.

There are other possibilities.  Look on my Web site below for the
factory A-type overdrive service manual - and also get Nelson's
documents listed above.

HTH,
Dan

--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Brakes partly complete, TR4 OD transmission working nicely.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!