What a DPO!

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What a DPO!
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 15:43:58 -0700
So I pull the head off the TR6 engine, and realize the
DPO had reversed the valve rotator caps putting them on
the intake valves instead of the exhaust.

All of the exhaust valve stems are so mushroomed they
won't pass through the guides, the guides are shot and
the springs are sagging.

I had hoped to just face the valves and reseat them,
but now it looks like all new exhaust valves, all new
springs and all new guides (no sense in reusing the
inlets either, I suppose).

Some questions, I guess.

I don't mind doing the work myself, and am wondering
whether Moss or TRF or V7 or others are the way to go
for parts?

Is there a kit to accomplish this so that I don't have
to pay individual part pricing?

I am less worried about pricing here than I am about
getting high quality parts, though.

or

If someone has paid for a head rebuild and could let me
know a good shop out source the job, I would appreciate
a recommendation (I am in Los Angeles, as shipping a
head probably will be pretty expensive).

My seats look good, and I have done quite a few valve
jobs in the past on cars and motorcycles, so I would
not be learning on this engine.  I also would be doing
a non-flowbench, nothing fancy port and polish (port
matching, short side radii, guides, bowls, polishing of
exhaust ports and cc's) as part of the job, anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What a DPO....

doug
'74 TR6