Re:TR3A front muffler that won't fit

To: eastonfamily@earthlink.net
Subject: Re:TR3A front muffler that won't fit
From: pmmacy@att.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:29:56 +0000 .worldnet.att.net>
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net (List Triumph)
Dave/List:
  I just had this same problem with a stock system from
Moss.  Once you get the muffler past the rear axle, the
additional muffler width will hit the X frame. I got
another system from British Parts NW with a 7" wide
muffler VS the 7.5" width from Moss.  The fit was still
tight, but I was able to position everything without
rattles.  Either BPNW or take David's suggestion and
visit your local muffler shop for a custom fit.  The
Moss and TRF systems are poor replacements.

Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH

57 TR3   TS16942LO
57 TR3   TS17734L
59 TR3A  TS53427L  (Parts Car)
BOTH SMALLMOUTHS WILL BE AT WADSWORTH AND MID-OHIO!!!

Subject: TR3A front muffler that won't fit.

Greetings again this great list,

I'm attempting to replace the exhaust system on my 1959
TR3A and can't fit the front muffler (silencer).  (This
is the mild steel exhaust system from The Roadster
Factory.)  The front pipe on the forward muffler won't
fit into the down pipe because it interferes with the
rear axle.  I've tried raising the axle but it still
interferes.  The new muffler is wider than the one I'm
replacing and the angle of the front pipe is slightly
different.  It just looks like it won't fit without
interfering with the rear axle, even when the car is
supported by it's wheels.  Has anyone else had a similar
problem with a replacement muffler?  What am I doing
wrong?  Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Easton.
1959 TR3A--