turning in circles

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: turning in circles
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:26:20 -0400
Cc: "'Triumph Newsgroup '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>For ZS 175's, which direction am I to turn the mixture screws on the
needles
>to make the mixture leaner?

Mark, clockwise is richer.  Someone once told me to remember the old addage
that as time goes on we get richer and richer (if only).

>My car drives great, but has the following unwanted symptoms:
>
>1 - strong smell of unburnt fuel
too rich
>2 - black exhaust tailpipe (but no smoke or really dirty rear valence)
too rich
>3 - 14.5 mpg (50/50 city and highway)!!
Mine gets around 22 -25
>4 - pretty good idle at around 800-900 rpm
Mine too.
>5 - starts easily after around 1 -> 1 1/2 seconds
Heaven forbid!

I think you can lean it out quite a bit and not loose the good idle and
easy starts. I would, at this point, pull each piston and check the
location of the needle and make sure they are both approximately the same.
Or start with the needle shoulder flush with the bottom of the piston.
After this always adjust each carb the same amount.

Cheers

Dave