Re: [TR6: Indexing a Piper270 cam] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g5AKkH313237

To: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Re: [TR6: Indexing a Piper270 cam] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g5AKkH313237
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:46:09 -0400
Hi Rob.

I may be wrong, but I think for method 2 you need to have symmetrical lift
profiles or identical intake and exhaust lift profiles which I'm pretty sure
this cam does not.

I used method #1 and was only able to get within about 3 degrees, so you're
doing better than I was. How did you locate TDC and the max valve lift of the
cam? If you just try to look where the dial indicator stops moving, you can be
off quite a bit. This is because there is not much motion at these points. The
Crane Cams web site (and other referernces)gives a procedure for doing this.
There are two methods described there. One requires that you know the angle of
.050" lift which I didn't have. So, I used the other method.

Someone suggested using the other set of holes in the cam sprocket to get
closer. This may work for you. It didn't for me. Both sets of holes on mine
seemed to be in the same position relative to the sprocket teeth.

Just to put things in perspective, I recall there are 24 teeth on the crank
sprocket and 48 on the cam. This means one tooth is 15 crank degrees. So, you
can't do much about being off by one degree. My powertrain design gurus tell
me that this is nothing to be too concerned about.

Hope this helps.

- Hugh