Carb tweaking - Thanks for the help

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb tweaking - Thanks for the help
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:03:10 -0400
Thanks all the replies with how to adjust my Strombergs. They were
definitely set too rich.

I checked out the carb needles last night. They were both about 3/32" inside
the pistons. That is about one turn from fully wound up. I wound them down
about 2-3 turns to flush with the piston face as suggested. I re-installed
and fired her up. Had to raise the idle slightly to keep her running. Idle
is rougher than before. I removed one of my K&Ns and tweaked the piston a
little. The idle level dropped, even with a very small lifting of piston. I
believe that means too lean. So I adjusted 1/4 turn more rich. That cleaned
up the idle roughness without significantly raising the idle speed (which I
readjusted very slightly back down).

Today it's raining, so I will try to give a good running test tonight after
work. However just sitting behind the car sniffing the fumes (what a fun
hobby this is!) I could smell a huge difference in gas vapour level.

It is one of the simpler things to adjust, but there are no real standards
or specs, so you are stuck trying to get the "feel" of the thing right, not
the numbers. Thats when lots of contributions help. Dave Massey sent nice
notes (that needle shoulder as a zero point is great), Jay Welch sent an
Opus (not an Opossum) of TR6 data.

So thanks again for the insight from the "massed minds".

Mark