Re: Herman Munster vs. TR4!

To: bradlnss@lightspeed.net|, bradlnss@lightspeed.net ("Brad Eells"), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Herman Munster vs. TR4!
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:44:18 -0400
In a message dated Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:49:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bradlnss@lightspeed.net writes:

> I was trying to wear out the TV remote flipping through the channels when I
> came upon an episode of 'The Munsters' called 'Movie Star Munster'....After a
>couple of attempts...the TR4 makes contact with Herman, and loses!
> The car is completely destroyed.
>
> Ouch! What a way to write off a perfectly good TR4...I wonder if they
> wrecked a real car???

I've never seen that episode; I don't remember it as a kid, and don't have
cable or dish now. But I did once see an episode of "Mister Ed" where someone
(I think it was "Ed" but don't remember the details) "wrecked" a brand-new
Spitfire. As the car was brought back to Wilbur's house via wrecker, it
appeared at first glance to be a total write-off. Then I realized that what
they had done was to simply unbolt the entire bonnet section and stuff it in
the cockpit or alongside the car or something (again, this was a long time ago,
and I didn't think to tape it). My guess is that the Spitfire survived with
little more than some scratches and chips in the paint. Perhaps the same type
of thing was done with the TR4, or an already-wrecked TR4 was used for the
"after" shot with Herman, and a matching "good" TR4 was procured for the
"before" shots?

It all depends on the budget. Often the lower-budget productions don't actually
destroy "good" objects, as in the Mister Ed example above. But then there are
productions such as "Dukes of Hazzard" or the movie "Christine"; in each case,
I think over a dozen of the given MoPar product were ultimately sacrified for
the art. ;-)

--Andy Mace