RE: Commission Number Screw-up

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Commission Number Screw-up
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:35:58 -0700
> I've finally decided to have the title to my '59 TR3A transferred into my
> name, and noticed the title displays the engine number as the
> cars VIN number.
> i.e. the engine number matches the title, and the commission
> number does not.
> This car has never been broken apart and I know the engine is
> original to the
> car.

The numbers normally don't match, as all production of the TR engine did not
go into TR cars.  The engine number should also have an 'E' at the end,
indicating it's an engine number, while the commission number will likely
have either an 'L' for left hand drive, or 'LO' for left hand drive and
overdrive.

>  I would like to have the title corrected.  Does anyone
> happen to have
> any good idea's how to deal with this kinda thing?  I'm sure
> every State is
> different.

I'm sure it is too.  I dealt with this problem with my TR3A in CA last year,
it was relatively painless for a DMV experience.  Went to the DMV (aka
license branch), waited in line, filled out a form, waited in line, paid a
fee, waited in line, showed a DMV employee where the commission number was
on the car, and went home.  Got a new title in the mail, two months later.
However, I already had a CA title with a number that didn't match anything,
it might be harder if the car was coming in from out of state.

I'd suggest you call your local license branch, and explain your problem
over the phone.  They should be able to tell you what's required.  If the
answer is acceptable, be sure to get the name of the person you talked to,
and go to that branch when they are on-duty.  If the answer is not
acceptable, try a different branch, or call back on a different day.  I've
found that, both in CA and IN, the answers vary depending on who you talk
to.

Randall