electrical guru, please!

To: spitfires list <spitfires@autox.team.net>, triumphs list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: electrical guru, please!
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:14:32 -0400
Oh god of geeks, accept the humble petition of a penitent software
"engineer"!

My '73 GT6 has a 9mA leak.   With all circiuts open, something's drawing
down the battery.

There is a pair of hot (brown) wires from the hot contact of the starter
solenoid, going to the alternator-- one of the pair, the thick one, goes
to the middle of three alternator connectors; the thin one goes to a
second alternator contact (while a brown/yellow wire at the third
alternator contact goes to the ignition warning light).  This sets the
stage, I hope.

By disconnecting the thin brown wire at the alternator, or the
thick/thin pair at the starter solenoid (which share a ring connector),
the current leak goes away.  This tells me there's a high resistance
short to ground inside the alternator.

My questions to The Oracle are, what's the thin hot wire to the
alternator for?  What should I do about this alternator?  Of course in
the meantime, I'll pull the known good unit off the parts car, but if
the original alt is rebuildable I'd like to know what fault to look for.

Thanks!  and damn modernity!  and damn Microsoft!  and God bless miniskirts!
--
Douglas Frank    DigitalWhoopsCompaqNoImeanHP Corp.
ZKO              110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,