electrical guru, please!

To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: electrical guru, please!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:55:06 -0400
Cc: triumphs list <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Douglas Frank
>My questions to The Oracle are, what's the thin hot wire to the
alternator for?  What should I do about this alternator?  Of course in
the meantime, I'll pull the known good unit off the parts car, but if
the original alt is rebuildable I'd like to know what fault to look for.

<

Oh, lowly plebe, the small brown wire is the voltage sense wire for the
voltage regulator.  It will cause the alternator to put out voltage to
maintain the battery voltage to the desired level - reguardless of the
voltage drop in the large brown wire that connects the alternator to the
starter solenoid.  (Please note that the voltage drop along the battery
cable to the battery itself is not compensated but is also negligible)

A 9 mA draw is typical (I measured the same on my 74 TR6 at one time) and
results in a 1.5 A-H discharge over a week.  At this rate it will totally
discharge your battery over the period of 20 - 30 weeks.  Since your car
was not designed with the intent of sitting idle for more than a few days
at a time, this is considered not an issue.  If you do store your car for
prolonged periods of times you should either disconnect the battery or
attach a floating charger.

Now, oh Great God of Software, why does my compuserve always crash when it
tries to open Acrobat?   ;-)

Dave Massey BSEE
57 TR3
71 TR6