Tranny woes

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny woes
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:53:32 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[7B7C39D0:01C21859] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g5KCrX312773
The last couple of times that I have taken the 1970 GT6 out I noticed that on
occasion I would have seemed to have missed a shift - I attributed it at first
to the fact that the clutch master was low and was resigned to having to fix
the leaking slave in the near future.  However, I have still noticed the
phenomenon after filling and verifying that it was still filled. It feels very
much like a SEVERELY worn or non existent synchro, and It happens on UPSHIFTING
- more so than downshifting which is rather unusual.  Every tranny I have ever
had that started to loose synchro action was noticed upon a fast downshift with
a slight catch that over time would get increasingly worse.  This happened all
of a sudden and does so only in second gear And As I mentioned mot of the time
it is when UPSHIFTING from first to second - So I'm wondering if possibly the
synchro cracked?  Anybody had a problem with substandard synchros Falling apart
or is an indication of something else possibly a circlip that has popped out?
It's definitely NOT just a worn synchro. Any ideas before I end up having to
tear this thing apart (as if I don't have enough to do right now!!!) This is a
fairly new (rebuilt)J type OD tranny with at most 20,000 miles on it, not
abused or shifted harshly, that worked flawlessly until the last couple of
trips.