RE: Old Tyres

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Old Tyres
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:32:31 -0700
> The rest of Alan's question (which also interested me) might be
> stated as 'when
> is a tire too old?'.  I realize many factors must enter into
> this... not just age
> and miles but also how driven, exposure to sunlight, etc.... but
> is there a way
> to assess whether a sound-looking tire is still roadworthy?

The assessment I've always used (well, ignored may be more like it <g>) is
to look for any tiny cracks in the rubber, both in the sidewall and in the
tread grooves.  I believe the term is "weather checking".  I've had several
tires separate over the years, all of them have exhibited weather checking,
although not all of my weather checked tires have separated.

And, as the recent Firestone-Ford debacle has demonstrated, tires may
sometimes fail for little or no apparent reason.

Randall