Re: TR3A Mystery noise

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Mystery noise
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:20:27 EDT
In a message dated 6/16/02 9:01:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

>>Randall:
It came back (noise):
When the car is cold i'll drive about 15 minutes then it starts again. Could
it be the shocks? They're the 22$ ones from Moss from the PO. Not much
mileage on em.
The noise seems to come from that area and is apparent with the bounce of the
car. Help!
Ray
59 TR3A<<

> Ray :
>
> It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't call it likely.  Mike's scenario of
> the inner lower pivots being loose on the shafts seems more likely to me,
> which of course doesn't mean much of anything <g>
>
> While not exactly desirable, you can drive the car without the front
> shocks.
> You could take out the suspect one and take a drive to be sure the noise is
> something else.  Don't get too carried away, it may be a bit hard to
> control
> with a missing shock, and of course the rebound stop will be missing so
> don't go flying over any bumps.
>
> I usually find that clunks in the front are something coming loose that
> shouldn't be loose, like the idler arm mount or the steering levers coming
> loose on the vertical links.  In the rear of course, it's the rear shocks
> coming loose on their mounts, or the shock links loosing their rubber.
>
> Randall

 Randall et al:

Had the car in the shop today.  Noise is like a squeak, than a knock. The
first guess was body mounts; rocking the car side to side produced the noise
on the ground. Up in the air to inspect the front left suspension and it
appeared to come from the upper control arm bushing. Upon removal of the
outer nylon bushing the noise went away on the ground. But it came back when
we replaced it. The recommendation was to replace with the stock rubber
bushings. Any thoughts?

Ray..
59 TR3A