Re: New Tyres

To: "Alan Hodge" <avhbah@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New Tyres
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 07:32:31 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "Alan Hodge" <avhbah@yahoo.com>

> Hi Phil
> The Remmmingtons are $31.
> For me I think it would be foolish to save $40 on the
> whole deal if the tires are not as good as the Dunlops
> or another reasonable choice.

The Kumho tires are probably at least as good as the Remingtons and maybe
the Dunlops, too, for 28 bucks.  They seem to stick OK, did not chunk to
pieces at an autocross on asphalt, don't make ugly noises and balanced OK.
I can't tell you if they are stickier than the Dunlops, but they seem to be
good tires.

I am happy with the Kumho 60-series tires on my Saturn, and the autocrossers
like their sticky tires.  I know that is not a direct reflection on their
165-15 tires, but it did give me some confidence in ordering them.

The only reason I why I would buy the Dunlops is for the name on the
sidewall (not that there is anything wrong with buying them for that
reason).  For all I know, Dunlop 165-15 tires could be made in Asia as well.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org