RE: Carbon

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Carbon
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 12:33:18 -0700
> I was
> shocked to see all
> the really black, moist carbon on the cover, in just a minute or
> two. I have a
> header, and cam,so the idle is set a little high, but the car runs very
> stronly.I have always thought that the car was rumnning too rich but my
> mechanic guru hasn't suggested anything amiss? Would a carb rebuild be in
> order?

Phil, a carb rebuild certainly couldn't hurt (or perhaps just check the
floats and valves).  However, both the header and cam will affect the
mixture calibration curve, typically making it leaner in the mid and high
range, so it's possible your mechanic (or whoever) has adjusted the carbs
rather rich, to keep them from going lean under some conditions.

Might also be worth checking that the choke linkage isn't hanging up
somewhere and that the 'starting rods' or whatever they're called are
returning home.

Randall