RE: pulling a flywheel?

To: "ebk" <ebk@buffnet.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: pulling a flywheel?
From: "Roger Helman" <rhelman@xmission.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 08:29:32 -0600 tests=IN_REP_TO,SUBJ_ENDS_IN_Q_MARK,TO_LOCALPART_EQ_REAL, MAILTO_LINK version=2.31
 Cosmo,

1  I inserted a large screwdriver into the ring gear and used one of the
three studs which holds the top of the transmission bell housing. as a
Fulcrum point.  It is a bit awkward with one person but you can do it.

2. I am not sure of the exact torque on the TR4 Flywheel bolts, but on a TR6
it is 50-75 lbf ft and should not be much different than a TR4.
To quote My "Repair and Operations Manual",  " Secure the Flywheel with the
four bolts and tighten evenly to 50-75 lbf ft ( 69 to 104 kgf m).". I think
the important part is make sure all the bolts are evenly torqued.

Roger

PS I would also inspect your ring gear to make sure it has not backed off.
Also upgrade the bolt that holds the "throw-out bearing fork" to the shaft.
I have had to pull my transmission on separate occasions for both reasons
It is much easier to do once :-).
Roger Helman
House Of Moves
Sr. Developer