RE: Bad Fuel Pump?

To: "Marshall" <mkatnt@netscape.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bad Fuel Pump?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 07:21:53 -0700
> Went for a ride in my 1959 TR 3 yesterday. It was running like a
> charm until I drove in to my drive way. It acted as if it had
> suddenly run out of fuel (the gauge registers half full) and then
> it died. When I depress the gas pedal I can see that the linkage
> under the carbs is moving, but I don't think that it is getting
> fuel. Any thoughts? Does the fuel pump rely on a fuse? Clogged
> filter (I added an in line filter just before the carbs)? Are
> fuel pumps difficult to install and or find?

Marshall, the stock TR3 pump is mechanical so no fuse.  Of course, your car
may have been converted to electric.  Time for some inspection/detective
work.  I would start by removing a fuel fitting at the carbs and cranking
the engine just a bit, to check for fuel delivery.

Replacement mechanical pumps are readily available, however they lack the
priming lever found on the original pump.  If you have an original, it's
probably better to rebuild it (rebuild kits are also available).  If you
have or buy a replacement mechanical pump, check the pivot pin carefully.
I've heard they don't have clips to locate them (as the original did) and
are prone to falling out, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Randall