RE: Dot 5 and seal Q

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Dot 5 and seal Q
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:28:50 -0700
Cc: jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie
> I am at a stage where I am about to re-assemble my TR2 clutch and
> brake master cylinder and plumb it into the car. I have a set of
> Lockheed seals for the cylinder, which would seem to be NOS. I am
> planning to use silicone brake fluid but in the back of my head I
> have a memory of some discussion regarding the effect of DOT 5 on
> early type seals because of their composition. Do I need to buy a new
> set of repro seals or are the original OK to use. Anyone care to
> comment?

John, I'm not sure what discussion you are recalling, but DOT 5 is
compatible even with the British "natural rubber" seals.  It's DOT 3/4 that
you have to worry about not being compatible.

Of course, NOS seals may be deteriorated just due to age, they don't last
forever even sitting on the shelf.  I would be tempted to buy new just on
that basis.  Don't know about your part of the world, but here in the US
they cost less than a bottle of DOT 5 ...

Randall