Re: Viruses abound

Subject: Re: Viruses abound
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:15:58 -0700
You wrote:

>This may come as a shock, but it is possible to write a virus for
>a Mac.  It's just that they have such poor market penetration it
>isn't worth a virus writer's time to mess with it.

No shock here, Steve. I'm well aware that there are a few Mac viruses
out there. I could probably count them on one hand, though. The last
'well-known' Mac virus that I'm aware of was the 'Autostart Worm'.
That was back in the mid-90's. I'm sure there's been a few since
then, but when you compare a Mac's vulnerability and exposure to
viruses to a PC's, the Mac may as well be virus-proof.

You're right, also, about the market penetration (or lack thereof)
being responsible for this, at least to a large extent.

The attachments I've received recently, however, (assuming they
really are viruses) are definitely NOT viruses that are harmful to my
Mac(s).

My intent in posting that message, however, was not to start the old
Mac vs. PC debate. It was intended as a warning to subscribers since
I'm well aware that the vast majority of you are constantly at risk
of contracting these viruses.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 Triumph TR6