RE: WTB: SINGLE 86mm Mahle Piston/Liner Combo

Subject: RE: WTB: SINGLE 86mm Mahle Piston/Liner Combo
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:00:16 -0700
Cc: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Don't the sleeves have to be a matched set?

No, not really.

> ISTR a number stamped on each
> liner (in thousandths) that indicates the amount they protrude
> above the top
> of the block. Or some such. Can anyone confirm this?

There was a letter, stamped into the piston and the liner, that indicated
the piston and liner were matched.  Machining methods of the day couldn't
hold the tolerance the engineers wanted, so the liners and pistons were
sorted into grades after machining.  However, the machining methods have
improved, and the clearances aren't considered so critical anymore, so AFAIK
modern pistons and liners aren't graded (my last set wasn't).  The best
running TR engine I ever built had 3 pistons of one grade and 1 of another,
the extra clearance (we're only talking .0004" here) just seemed to make it
go faster.  Used less oil, too.

Randall