Liner matching to head

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Liner matching to head
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:59:27 -0700
Hello,

I'm installing the Moss aluminum head onto my TR4A, which comes with the
shrouding around the intake valve removed (as detailed in the Comp Prep
manual).  The Comp Prep manual also outlines the procedure to match the cut
away area with the liner, which I would like to do.  After applying grease
to the tops of the liners, installing the head, and removing, I found the
following:

-The thickness of the liner wall where the removal needs to happen is 0.330"
(these are 87.5 (0.060 over) liners)

-I need to remove 0.180" at the widest part, leaving 0.150" of the liner.

That seems like I'm removing a lot of the thickness, more that what the
picture in the Comp Prep manual seems to show.  Is it too much?  I'm using a
solid head gasket, so I'm not losing and sealing rings, but does that leave
enough to seal?  Will that weaken the liner?

Thanks!

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS