RE: Speedometer Right Angle Drive

To: Lbc61tr4@aol.com, ryoung <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Speedometer Right Angle Drive
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:55:45 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>===== Original Message From Lbc61tr4@aol.com =====
>Ok, so now I really confused.  If the TR4 does not use the right angle
>adapter, then what should be the max angle on the turn at the gearbox?  Even
>using the boot and hole next to the handbrake, the angle of the turn is still
>almost 90 degrees.  How is the extra long TR3 overdrive cable routed?
>
>Paul

Paul,

I used the 96" TR3 OD cable part from TRF on my '62 TR4.  The cable exits the
OD case and through the boot.  It then make a 90 degree turn along the frame
and through a hole in the frame where the brake line goes through.  I then
routed it along the side of the frame members to the starter and up and over
the bellhousing and then a turn into the firewall and to the  speedo.  The
speedo runs rock solid at all speeds.

I could not get the "TR4 OD cable" to work because it was just a bit short if
you wanted to go throygh that brake routing hole.   The TR4 cable will only
make it if you route it so it runs under the frame and then across the gearbox
top and exit out on the left side of the engine/bellhousing space.  This
worked but the underside was a jury-rig.

You have to cut and remove the rubber grommet on the brake hole in the frame
to pass the OD end of the cable through the hole.  If you cut with an exacto
knife on an angle it will come out and go back with out a problem.  If it is
dry and brittle it will need a new rubber grommet.  Put the cable through the
hole BEFORE routing back to the OD connector.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L(O) - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn