RE: TR3 timing marks

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 timing marks
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:57:24 -0700
> Can I ask a timing question without getting into the 180 degree debate...
> ;)

Good question, let's see <g>

> Silly question but:  How am I supposed to set the timing on my 3
> without any
> gradient marks on the pulley?

You're 'supposed' to set the timing to TDC using the mark, and then advance
it 4 degrees using the marks and thumbwheel on the distributor.  Obviously,
it pays to have backed off the thumbwheel by 4 degrees before starting the
process.  If memory serves, each mark on the advance barrel is good for 2
degrees, so 4 degrees is 2 marks, but I haven't had my tea yet, I could be
mistaken.

I believe the book goes on to advise final 'fine' setting by road testing.
With the engine fully warmed, heavy throttle at low rpm in high gear, you
should just barely hear 'pinking'.

Randall