RE: Question re: points

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Question re: points
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:35:33 -0700
> Replaced the points and condenser and
> now I can't
> get it to start to save my life.  I've checked and re-checked point gap
> (tried .14, .15, .16), replaced the original points and condenser and
> nothing.  I've got the condenser lead and terminal lead from the coil
> attached to the contact point post on top of the nylon washer as
> I believe
> they should be.
>
> Any basic (or dumb) things I need to check?

You didn't mention a rotor ...
(and I can't count how many times I've tried to start one with the rotor
laying on the fender)

Hook a test lamp or voltmeter from the points terminal on the coil to
ground.  Turn the engine until the points are open, turn the key on.  You
should see 12v or a lit lamp.  Turn the engine until the points are closed,
0v or the lamp should go out.

If the points look copacetic, I'd next pull the high tension coil wire out
of the dizzy and crank the engine with it held near (1/8 - 1/4") ground.  If
you get a spark there, then reassemble the wire and pull a plug out.  With
the wire on the plug, and the plug laying on the rocker cover, crank the
engine again.  If you see a nice healthy spark here, chances are the problem
is not ignition (although a double check of static timing might be in
order).

Randall