RE: Rear Brake Cylinders

To: "Dixie" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Brake Cylinders
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:22:32 -0700
Dixie wrote :
> You know, there are some killjoys out there on the Triumph List, it is sad
> but true.

It's also a shame that some listers "call names" without making clear who or
what they're referring to.  Since you didn't specify, I have to assume this
is in response to Phil Ethier's post about brake balance, which I thought
was entirely on-target.

Front/rear brake balance is very important to achieving maximum braking.
Changing from .70" to .75" cylinders represents a 15% increase in rear
braking effort.  (Actually I'm pretty sure it's quite a bit more than 15%,
given the 'self actuating' characteristics of drum brakes, but 15% is bad
enough.)  If the brakes were perfectly balanced before (granted this is
unlikely) or were already biased too much to the rear (more likely, given
that most people are using stickier tires than original); that 15% change is
a 15% increase in stopping distance !

And when someone's kid runs out in front of you is no time to find out your
mistake, either !

Randall