TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:08:22 EDT
Doctors:

...With the car on jackstands and the apron and wheels off (had the radiator
out to be repaired)  I needed to remove the control head as it was not
canceling. I also needed to recenter the steering wheel. Upon loosening the
stator tube nut I couldn't push it out. I tapped it, it disappeared into the
steering box and no sight of it at the other end. So I removed the end cover
plate and was able to bring it out. Turns out it was shortened by a PO. Not
exactly useless but close. It has the original anti rattle thing. Then I
remove the steering wheel with nthe idea of centering it. I reinstall the
control head into another stator tube that's the right length and decide to
put the end cover plate back. I see the gear is wound out so the plate won't
reach the box. I realize that I have to turn the shaft the other way to wind
it in, so I think. The steering wheel is not on yet so I use a vice grip to
turn the shaft. I turn it as far as it goes. I get the end plate back on with
all the shims that were installed previously and with the bearing and race in
place. The steering was fine before I removed anything.( At a previous time I
had adjusted the box a little tight so I had backed it off and it was fine.)
As I am tightening the four bolts that hold the end cover in place I hear
something. I continue tightening not realizing what may have happened. I
decide to take off the plate and lo and behold the race and bearings are
cracked and broken. ( I quickly decide to order the new parts from Moss
including a new felt bushing which was not there and some extra shims just in
case, although if I could reinstall it the way it was I should not need more
shims).
The big question finally is WHERE DID I GO WRONG??? Should the steering wheel
have been on prior to installing the end cover? Shouldn't the end cover go
back the way it came off withot being too tight when it gets wound home?  If
the steering shaft is now all the way to one way doesn't that mean that it
will have no room to turn once the cover is in place?  I'm confused and
panicky and have had tossing and turning if not sleepless nights over this
debacle. I'm calling on you fellow sportscar afficianados to calm my nerves
and to steer me out of the mess  I created. My humble apologies for coming to
the well so often. I have consulted the Digest, the TRF glovebox handbook,
and the shop manual but I feel the list is my best resource at this point.

Thanks to all in advance for your assistance.

Ray Antoky
59 TR3A (temporarily OTR I hope!)