Re: Battery rating

To: "INTERNET:AVALON2455@aol.com" <AVALON2455@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Battery rating
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 10:05:45 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <ryoung@navcomtech.com> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id gA2F8xJW014607
Message text written by INTERNET:AVALON2455@aol.com
>And of course, "Reserve Capacity" rating is great for us guys that use
batteries in our boats, to know how long the anchor light, etc.,  will burn

and we will still be able to start the boat engine.  I buy boat batteries
looking at 'Reserve Capacity' rather than 'CCA'.........
<

Actually, using automotive (or "starting") batteries in "deep cycle"
applications is a recipe for premature battery failure.  The reason is that
starting batteries are optimized for "cranking" current rating at the
expense of deep cycle ability.  To achieve this the plates are designed
with a maximum plate area and to keep weight down the plates have almost no
thckness.  If such a battery is discharged significantly the plate
structure is reduced such that it may (will) not recover to the original
configuration when recharged and then the cranking ability is reduced.

In applications where the battery will be deep cycled (such as a boat or
RV) it is recomended that deep cycle batteries be used.  However, deep
cycle batteries do not have the cranking current capability that similar
sized starting battery and compromizes must be made sometimes.  Also, deep
cycle batteries are more expensive (simply because they are not produced
and distributed in the same numbers as the typical automotive battery).

Optima makes a starting battery and a deep cycle battery.  The latter is
used by the "competitive sound system" crowd since they run the amps with
the engine off and the several kilowatts consummed is a significant drain.
But if you think an Optima starting battery is expensive...

Cheers

Dave